thrift store tray becomes runway model! (kinda)

Trays are wonderfully subtle items that infuse a bit of style into a space without screaming, "Hey everyone, look at me!" They're also very practical, for serving food at parties, holding utensils at family gatherings, keeping keys and sunglasses and miscellaneous stuff quarantined by the door, etc. They're not only fun but incredibly useful.

I thrifted this baby for about $2 last Fall.


Thought it had potential, with the cool iron edging and solid wood base, although it was a bit scuffed up and had the look of check-out-what-I-did-at-craft-night. (Craft nights are great, mind you...I just prefer that the finished product doesn't give that impression right outta the gate, you know?) 

I took it apart, spray painted the metal navy and primed and painted the wood base white. After the base dried, I taped out a chevron design, which I then painted grey. Went over the whole thing with wipe-on polyurethane. This is the end result (my first attempt at chevron pattern...I learned some things). The tray sits on a chartreuse console table, and I love the color combo of all of it together.


I'm still working on a vignette for the top of the tray (ideas, anyone?), but in the meantime, I think it's an improvement over the original tired old painted cherries. Nothing against cherries, of course. They're a delicious fruit.

{shared here and here}
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited about this blog. I need some inspiration, our house is looking pretty bare. Can't wait to see what you have to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbnnnbvvgtttttyhjo
    from, evy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover