Master Bedroom Makeover: Lighting

Master Bedroom Makeover
Day 9: Lighting (or: DIY Faux Capiz Shell Chandelier)

** Note: This post is part of a 12-step series in my master bedroom makeover. Links to the other (previous) steps are listed at the end of this post.

This is just a simple post to show you how to save $millions$ (yep) by making your own faux capiz shell chandelier. Here's mine:


Our original master bedroom lighting was this:

 
So. Several online tutorials involved melting wax paper together with your iron to create the "shells." This method, however, caused me to nearly burn my house down, because my iron didn't melt the wax paper together and so I tried to melt it in the oven but actually it ignited and large flames engulfed the inside of my oven and around my arm when I opened it up to get the pan of wax paper out. True story. Also traumatic.)
 
I came up with this non-flammable method instead: 
 
First: Find some sort of hanging device, like wire planters/hanging basket holders or wire bowl. Spray paint this white so it's ready when you are.
 
Get some rice paper. I found mine at Hobby Lobby with the calligraphy stuff; it was about $14 without the 40% off coupon.


I called around to find the best deal on laminating and then laminated a bunch of the rice paper. I think I used six 15"x24" sheets for a four-tier 12" chandelier. (Money-saving tip: ask the laminating people the width of their laminating machine, and cut the rice paper roll into sheets that wide so they can send the paper through sideways and maximize your money.) Looked like this:


Cut out and staple two of the sheets together in several places along the edge to hold them together while you circle punch.

 
Using a circle hole punch (I used 1.5"), go to town. Watch or listen to something interesting, because this can be tedious. Oh, and it can be rough on circle punches, I won't lie. I went through two of them.

 

A zillion hours and the start of carpal tunnel later, you'll have a bunch of circles. Lay them out to see how many you want per strand. I think I did 10 on the bottom tier, 8 on the next, and 7 in both of the top two tiers.

 
I laid some wax paper down onto a baking sheet and started hot gluing circles together, just a little bit on the ends. (The wax paper is for if some glue leaks out from your line, it won't stick.)



Then I glued a little fishing line onto the top circle and left about 6" of overhang. This will be for tying the circle strand onto the wire fixture.

 
I started feeling a little antsy after creating a bunch of circle strands, so I started tying them onto the wire fixture and then hot gluing the knots. (Just because I'm not the best fishing line square knotter in the land and wanted these to stay put.)

 
After what seems like (and actually is) a long time, you'll end up with loads of circle strands tied & hot glued to the wire fixture. Be careful not to bend the strands so the glue won't snap apart.

 
Hopefully you will have measured your wire hanging device prior to starting to make sure it fit the light fixture space. I didn't. Mine was 12", and I needed something at least 14".
 
 
*blink*
 
 
Ah, nuts.


I was super bummed at first, but then I realized this chandy would fit perfectly in my daughters' room. They LOVE pretty stuff like this. I hung it up with some inexpensive white metal hooks from Lowe's, and viola!

 
You'd think (hope?) that this was the end of the story, but it's not. Remember that the master bedroom is still without an acceptable light fixture. And I really really wanted a breezy chandelier in there (even though now we'd be twinners with our 4- and 6-year-old daughters...is that weird?).
 
I decided to make another one, but I didn't have any more wire hanger devices handy...neither could I find one for $10 or less. Until I went into my garage and spied some old round tomato support things! Hanging from the garage wall! Hanging there for years because, frankly, they didn't do squat in supporting our tomatoes! Hooray for their failure!
 
An embarrassing display of a happy dance and some wire snipping later, I had fashioned the *perfect* wire hanging thing. And I double-checked the size this time. 14" exactly. BAM.


I started zealously punching many more circles. This time, I sewed the circle strands instead of gluing them (used plain white thread) and did everything else the same, and I must say...this method was waaaaay better than hot gluing the strands. Easier, faster, and I like the look of the chandelier better. A little more free & easy; the "shells" move a bit when you walk by, and I like that.


It does require more circles if you sew them, that's for sure. Because they turn sideways sometimes (unlike the glued ones). In fact, I may still beef up the number of strands on this one. But for now, I rest. And enjoy the light. 

Tomorrow is Day 10: Furniture. Come back for the vanity chair's new look!

Check out previous steps during the 12 Days of Master Bedroom Makeover:
Pin It Now!

37 comments:

  1. oh my gosh. it's AWESOME possum. seriously turned out wowish. will you make me one for christmas? thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on it. Pencil me in as Santa in 2017...

      Delete
  2. okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay i'm dying here. so seriously, you went through 2 punches?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one was my old one and was on its way out anyway, and the other one I bought didn't work really even when I first took it out of the package. So it's hard to say. But, yes, I think the doubling up on laminated stuff is tough on those little guys. And I was too impatient to take it one laminated sheet at a time...that would have taken foreeeevvvvvvveerrrrrrr.

      Delete
    2. yeah, my hands hurt just thinking about it :) love this blog, btw.

      Delete
  3. It looks stunning! Thank you so much for the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisabeth. If you do something like this, I'd love to see the end result! Super rewarding, to see a zillion little circles become something beautiful, you know?

      Delete
  4. Wow, this looks awesome. Just found your blog via Girl Creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11/19/2012

    THIS IS AMAZING!! I have always wanted a capiz shell chandelier but they are always out of my price range. I am totally going to give this a try. Best faux capiz tutorial I have seen yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K, I'm not trying to be all, "You're right, my tutorial IS awesome," but seriously...you should totally do this. It's time consuming, yes, but not hard to get a finished product that you just love. And, for real, if/when you do, please send me a photo or a URL so I can check out your handiwork! I'd be so proud.

      Delete
  6. omg! you're just plain genius!! i've been eyeing this capiz shell chandelier but they're so expensive!! i am not sure i could pull this off though..im definitely thinking about trying this...

    dropping by from motivated monday, come and visit me back at
    http://homefor4sweethome.blogspot.com/

    huggies***
    rea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Oh, stop, you're making me blush. Thanks, Rea. I dunno about "genius." But who am I to argue... :)
      p.s. Yes. Try this. TRY IT! It's so worth it.

      Delete
  7. I just found you via BeColorful, and I am sooo glad! I also tried miserably at making the fauz chandy with waxed paper, although I didn't try to burn the house down. My waxed paper wouldn't stick together, either, no matter how I tried to match up the sides.
    Your chandeliers look FANTASTIC!!!! And I am totally going to do this, too! Thanks so much for posting. I'm also going to start following your blog, too. : )
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige, I'm so glad you said that and that I'm not the only one with wax paper failure. When you finish your chandelier, send me a photo or your URL, will you? I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  8. Wow!! What a fabulous light shade!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is just awesome! Saw you on BeColorful...pinning and hope to make one day, thanks for the details

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I hope you make one, too, Lucy. You'll love it.

      Delete
  10. Wow This is really awesome! You are really smart Brittney! Wish I can makeover my rooms lighting too. Thanks for this! :)

    houses for sale philippines

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cool! I want to make one! I love it. My girls would love this in their room, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you'd think my girls were insta-princesses. Forget the water. "Just add chandy."

      Delete
  12. Anonymous1/07/2013

    I love it! What a fabulous project! Pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is just a super creative type of Light. I really adore these simple do-it-yourself projects that improves the designs of our home. It's quite remarkable in fact. Thank you for sharing your work with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely doing this! Love the look of your second one! I do have a few questions though.....You mention about how you sewed the circles together on your second one; how exactly did you sew them? Also, I noticed that you said you stapled two sheets together, is this because you wanted to maximize your time in hole punching? Just looking for clarification. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm definitely doing this! Love the look of your second one! I do have a few questions though.....You mention about how you sewed the circles together on your second one; how exactly did you sew them? Also, I noticed that you said you stapled two sheets together, is this because you wanted to maximize your time in hole punching? Just looking for clarification. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions. I've addressed them in my "your ?s answered" page. :)

      Delete
  16. I found you via Roeshel's blog "DIY Showoff".

    I love this fixture! I want to ask you how exactly you attached the tomato cage to the existing light fixture. Did you use S hooks and hook them in between the ceiling and the fixture base or cup hooks screwed into the ceiling itself??? HELP?

    I have a brand new, yet to be installed fixture just like your before one. Only mine is/will be for my tiny, narrow kitchen. I might have to switch the dining room to the kitchen and use it in my also tiny dining room. Cause this is too elegant for the kitchen.... right?

    My first visit I think anyway and thank you so much for the great idea. Oh yes, how much do those punches cost? I have to wait, cause I will be very broke for a good while. But I WILL make one! I will, I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just screwed 3 small hooks into the ceiling (spaced evenly around the circle), and hung the top wire of the "cage" onto the hooks. And the punches aren't too expensive; $10 at Hobby Lobby, plus you can use a coupon.
      And about the kitchen...I dunno. I think if I had the head room in my kitchen, I'd LOVE to have some kind of chandelier in there! Good luck.

      Delete
  17. A Crystal Chandeliers can add sparkle, drama and elegance to any room in your home, and can often be found inexpensively at a flea market or thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Britney, I've been going through all your blogs from the bookcases onwards, and loving every one!! BUT this one about the lighting nearly gave me an Asthma attack!!..I was laughing so much visualising the flames coming out of the oven I couldn't breathe!!..lol. But it is such a fab idea..When I get a laminator (hoping my daughter will buy me one sometime) I am definitely going to try this..I love your sense of humour in all your tutorials..:)..Thanks for all your inspiration..From Cornwall, England..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for providing the information regarding beautiful Chandelier Lamps.I fully read your blog,it has a good information about Chandelier Lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks fantastic! Sounds like a lot of work, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. eeek! So excited to get started on ours!!!
    How many strands went on each tier? I might've missed that in the tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lighting (or: DIY Faux Capiz Shell Chandelier) ... ccrystallighting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its looks very nice perfect collections if you want more know about led lights and chandelier lighting please click at OHRLighting

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover