folding chair makeover

Guess what I did today? Here's a wee hint:


That's right, kids. A glammed-out folding card table chair. Because those things are so very ugly to begin with. I'd highly recommend embarking upon a similar transformation with your own card table chairsies. Here's the lovely straight-from-the-90s specimen I started out with, complete with water-stained seat:


First step: take off the rivets on the back rest with a screwdriver and hammer. And pliers. Those rivets were mangled when I was done with them, but it didn't matter. Just try not to scratch the back of the folding chair.


Next, unscrew the seat from underneath. Easy peasy.


As soon as possible, take the metal chair frame and set it up in a well-ventilated area. Like nature.


Spray paint it, using light strokes. You might be tempted as I am, when spray painting, to lay it on thick all at once. Don't do this--the paint will run, and it will end up looking junky. Trust me. Just do lots of light passes from all angles. (I think I did two complete coats.) Oh, but don't worry about where the seat and back cushions will cover.


Then, head back inside (or wherever the other chair parts are), flip the seat cusion upside down and remove staples with a screwdriver and pliers. Or I suppose you could simply staple over them. Depends on how thick your original fabric is. And how OCD you are.



Lay the seat cushion on your new fabric and cut about 2" around the whole thing. This will be folded up and over and stapled to the bottom of the seat.


Start stapling, just a coupla staples in the middle of one side then the middle of the opposite side. Then a couple more staples in the middle of the two other sides, being careful to pull the fabric taut and square. Then, from the middle parts where you've just stapled, staple outward on each side (keep pulling taut) until you're about an inch or two away from the corners.


Fold in the corner, pull taut, and staple once. Then pull in one side of the corner until smooth and staple (the goal here is letting no pleats show on the seat top when flipped over). Repeat on the other side of the corner, then move to other corners and do the same.


Trim the fabric about 1/4" to 1/2" away from the staples.


Remember how the rivets were mutilated when we removed the chair back? You do? Gold star. I used a generous amount of my go-to adhesive, Gorilla Glue, and simply glued the padded seat back to the frame, lining up the old rivet stubs on the seat back with the holes in the chair frame.


(If you also choose to use Gorilla Glue, remember that that stuff grows when it dries. Like, expands 3-4 times. So don't get too close to the edge.) Clamp it up, buttercup.


To cover the holes that now showed on the back of the chair, I cut five pieces off an old nail trim strip, spray-painted them, and hot-glued them to the chair. Hot glue isn't exactly heavy-duty, but I needed it to dry fast. And, really, it IS just a folding chair after all. Not exactly made to take a beating. 


End result of the folding chair makeover:


Cute, no? It seriously was way fast and, using leftover materials, 100% free. Gotta love that. I'm interested, though...do you think it's worth putting time into an old folding chair? Or should we all just agree that they're ugly little monsters and leave it at that?
 
Featured!
handmade projects

{shared here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here}
Pin It Now!

44 comments:

  1. Love, Love the idea and yes I hate my fold up chairs...I think I have the same stain. So worth doing, so I am in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I think I have the same stain." Haha! No, but seriously. I think it's inevitable with these puppies... May as well just cover it up with cuteness, right?
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I think it's cute. But ours don't have fabric on them so te transformation wouldnt be as fun. They turned out great. When can we be friends in real life again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang. Not nearly as fun a transformation, for sure. Spray paint. Period. Way faster, though... :)
      I KNOW. We need to be real friends. K, I'm checking October's schedge (yep) for a girls' night rendezvous.

      Delete
  3. Love this transformation! Great job, thanks for sharing!
    Your newest follower - would love to have you come by and follow back when you have the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so so cute!! I never think those folding chairs are cute - but yours definitely changed my opinion! :)

    Thanks for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrienne10/01/2012

    I think it's totally worth it and I love your pattern/color. I need folding chairs and once I find some will be following your tutorial. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. Sharing it on my FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what I'm looking for next thrift store trip! I need a couple folding chairs but I was holding out because, well, they are ugly. Now, there's hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11/22/2012

    Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it-very inspirational! For those who don't have the oadded material "old-school" folding banquet chairs, her is a suggestion...or two: spray paint, crate an actual art image, or simply use tapy to create your own pattern. Hope this helps. I enjoyed reading every bit of this project and inspired to try something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The post is sharing information about folding chair makeover. Useful post

    Bean Bags

    ReplyDelete
  11. CUTE!!!! now i wish i had some folding chairs with fabric!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chair. Can you tell me what color / brand of spray paint that you used??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I believe it was Valspar Everglade.

      Delete
  13. Hi, Love this project. About how much fabric did you use? I don't have anything suitable laying around so need to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks Megan! I'm glad you're going to do it. You only need enough fabric to cover your chair seat and back. If print alignment doesn't matter, you can just measure the width of your chair seat and add 4-5 inches (which, in my case, was slightly over 1/2 yard). That would be the bare minimum I'd recommend, as it leaves you no wiggle room, but it can certainly be done. Good luck! I would (sincerely) love to see a photo of your finished chair; email me!
      -Brittney

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How super-AWESOME. I depend on folding chairs every time I have company. I have plain metal (no fabric) and have been planning to paint them. I think I will stencil them now too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HEY...LOVE YOUR BLOG! I did the same thing this past summer on a kid table and chair set that was handed down to my preschool! I added a heavy duty layer of clear vinyl over my zebra fabric for durability and ease of cleaning! How do I post a photo?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leah! I don't currently have a spot for you to post a photo, but I'd love it if you emailed it to me! Would love to see. brittneynsmart [at] yahoo [dot] com

      Delete
  17. Don't forget to scotch guard your new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love this - i am going to spray my outdoor bistro chairs and i had a question for you about the folding joint - did it paint shut? did you tape it? was it easy to fold up afterwards? thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

  19. You have shared a great information about Function Chairs and Plastic Folding Chairs.
    Which are very informative for us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rectangle Tablecloth Very nice blog on this website! It is really difficult to find such a fantastic content with some useful information. I am relieved I came upon this site. Finally I found something useful for me. I have been looking for information on this particular topic for longer time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. right, kids. A glammed-out folding card table chair. Because those things are so very ugly to begin with. I'd highly recommend embarking upon a similar ... ffoldingchairs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. right, kids. A glammed-out folding card table chair. Because those things are so very ugly to begin with. I'd highly recommend embarking upon a similar ... kidsfoldingtable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. what do you need for camping?
    fire pit

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ares 4-Pack Folding Chairs from Bizarkdeal

    I wanted a good set of chairs to use when we have company. We seem to have a lot of tables but no chairs to use when we have company. I wanted a set of chairs that would not take up too much room, stacked well together and were lite weight. I found these chairs on Amazon and did some comparisons to the leading chair on the market. They were very close in comparison except nearly half the cost. I am a fairly good size man, and when I sat in the chairs I did not feel that it was not going to hold me for my size. It formed to my posture keeping me upright and comfortable. The tubing is steel with rivets at all the points of motion. The seat and back are made of what looks like a strong plastic and are held in with numerous Philips screws, flush fit. This is nice if ever I want to remove them for cleaning or possible replacement. I believe these chairs will last me for years to come and were a perfect fit for my needs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was finding a comfortable folding chair for my garden, where i seat everyday in the afternoon and have tea.Here i got really some awesome info about folding chair.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. Best Folding Chairs in 2018

    ReplyDelete
  28. Someone essentially help to make significantly articles I would state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual publish incredible. Great job! for more information visit our website

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow..!! You have done a cool makeover of these folding chairs. Looking forward to try some of your tricks.
    Wholesale Folding Chairs

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love ur ideas we can spray paint chairs for sure
    Interior Design blog

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. folding chair and table sets

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Ligne Roset

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative.. Same day sofa collection

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about.. Dining chairs

    ReplyDelete
  35. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. kare design catalogue

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. modern furniture houston

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover