How to Paint a Crisp Line...and other truths

Remember this entry table?
 
 
I wanted to shake things up a little bit. So I painted it green.
I wanted to shake things up a little bit more. So I added a paint dipped look to the legs.
 
(p.s. Want to know how to paint a crisp stripe/straight line? Here:
Step 1: Measure how high the paint dip contrast paint would go. My table's legs are long and skinny, so I knew a little paint would go a long way, as far as visual impact is concerned. I went up 8 inches and taped it.

 
Step 2: After pressing the tape edge down, paint over it with the same base color. Seems counterintuitive, I know. But this will "seal up" the blue tape edge and allow less leakage of the stripe color. Let the base color dry.

 
Step 3: Paint the stripe/contrast color.

 
Step 4: Wait just a few minutes, then peel the blue tape off at a 45-degree angle (this photo doesn't show that, but it's what I did). You should have a nice, crisp line with very few touchups required! Yeehaw!


--end of p.s.--)
 
The legs looked great, but I wanted to shake things up even MORE. So I taped out the top to include a simple yet classy border.

 
What I failed to do, however, was (a) prime the varnished top before I started to paint in the first place, and (b) wait long enough for the paint to actually dry before I taped it and painted on the contrast color. So when I removed the tape, my hard work peeled up before my eyes. And my eyebrows lowered. And I may or may not have berated myself with language my children aren't allowed to use.


Time Saved by Not Priming: negative 24 hours. Not even the weird pleasure I got from peeling up the paint (like I peel my sunburned skin sometimes. Which grosses out my husband, but I can't help it.) made the error worthwhile.
 
(Editor's Note: To be honest, I didn't want to blog that part. Because sometimes I'm an impatient idiot and try to get things done quickly. But I decided I'd use myself as Exhibit A in reminding us all of the importance of being patient and doing things right the first time. Learn from me, people.)
 
So. Back to square one. I sanded the top all the way down.


And, because I was running low on blue tape, I went a different route in achieving the stripe. I started with my contrast color and rolled it on. And I LET IT DRY COMPLETELY.

 
I then taped up and rolled on the "base" color on top of the tape. (You may or may not notice that I didn't do my stripe-sealing trick here...it's only because I had previously spilled most of the light green paint all over the garage floor and didn't have enough. So I just did small touchups afterward.)

 
Removed tape after a few minutes, let the whole thing dry overnight, and added a couple coats of polyurethane.
 
Here it is in my entry:

 
I like the crips lines and the color it adds. That shoe basket has got to go, and I have plans for a few accessory modifications, but it is what it is for now.

 
Took way longer than it should have, but I (re)learned some important painting rules. So. There's a silver lining...a silver lining that, hopefully, won't smear or peel up...

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!



    Spray Machine

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover