Ikea Hemnes Dresser + A Racecar Stripe

**Addendum: See the complete(ish) bedroom makeover here.**

Question: "Can you paint Ikea furniture?" Answer: Yes!
And what's more, you can do a relatively simple upgrade with big-time impact. Paint furniture, then paint stripes to create a two-thumbs-up Racecar Stripe Painted Dresser. Great for a boy bedroom (at least for the boy at my house), and inexpensive to do.
 
 
Here's what I did: Take your furniture...
 ...and pull out all drawers, then remove all hardware. Lightly sand all surfaces to be painted with 220-grit sandpaper. (I know everyone hates sanding. It doesn't take long, though, to just rough up the surface a bit, and the paint job will be so much better in the ened. I'd recommend it.) You don't want to scratch the laminate, but you want to give your primer every possible chance of adhering to the surface.
 
Prime with 1-2-3 Zinsser primer. One or two coats, and sand any obvious areas. Then pull out your oil paint and spread on your first coat. A few things I noticed:

(1) This was my first time using oil based paint. I used Rustoleum's Aluminum oil paint (premixed, from Home Depot). Everything I read prior to painting talked about thinning out your oil-based paint before painting with it, but in this case, my paint was as thin as thin could be. Seriously. Like water. There was a massive glob at the bottom of the can when I first opened it, so I spent quite a long time stirring to break that up. The glob finally did go away/dissolve, but the paint was still very thin.
 
(2) A high quality paintbrush is the way to go. Not a cheapo brush, not a foam brush, not a roller. And it worked best for me when I just applied the paint and left it alone to dry.
 
 
(3) Let each coat dry com.plete.ly. Like, at least 24 hours. At least.
 
 
(4) I ran out of 220-grit sandpaper (which is pretty fine), so before my 2nd coat of paint, I used the finest grit I had. I'm not sure what number it actually was, but using it was a HUGE mistake. Totally scratched the paint rather than sanded it smooth. Then, like a rookie (and a lazy one at that), I thought that I didn't want to re-sand everything again, so *maybe* if I just painted over the scratches, the new coat of oil paint would fill them in. Nope. Let the record show that oil based paint is pretty much the same as latex paint - what you see in smoothness along the way is what you'll get at the end.
 
 
Crap. But it was a good lesson for me, if nothing else (kind of like how this experience was a good lesson in the importance of priming). So I bought the right sandpaper and came home and resanded everything down to the laminate. Basically, I started over. Which was a huge pain, as I'm sure you can imagine. But the finish ended up perfectly smooth. Yessss!
 
Taped out the stripes with frog tape (my new heart-throb of painters tape), painted two coats of blue latex stripes, and applied a topcoat of polyurethane. If you do a furniture painting project like this involving multiple coats and multiple colors, please please please promise me you won't rush it. In one sentence (above), I summarized about 4 days' worth of work and wait.

All in all, the project took me about 6 days (2-3 were due to my mistake. Oops.). Don't be overanxious, and do let the paint dry absolutely thoroughly between coats. I can't stress this enough. If you don't, and you paint on top of a mostly (but not completely) dry surface, it will be forever tacky when you put stuff on the furniture.
 
 
We really really like the finished result. And that oil paint? I'm a believer. My kids aren't exactly easy on furniture, and this paint job is actually standing up to them.
 
 
I like the impact of the stripe - a little retro, a little boyish, a little detail awesomeness that goes a long way. Plus, bonus, it was super simple to measure out (just four strips of frog tape) and paint. 
 
 
Anyone ever painted with oil based paints that were super duper thin before? Or have yours been thick (like all the places I've read) and needed thinning?
 
Either way: I like this look in my son's bedroom. And so does he. Victory all around.

If you're interested, feel free to check out the rest of his simple yet effective bedroom upgrade.

Featured!
      UndertheTableandDreaming



{shared: A Glimpse Inside, A Jennuine Life, A Little Knick Knack, Angels Homestead, Be Colorful, Beyond the Picket FenceBoogieboard Cottage, Busy BeesC.R.A.F.T., Chic on a Shoestring Budget, Coastal Charm, Crafty Texas Girls, Creating my way to Success, DIY by DesignDIY Showoff, Domestically Speaking, Dragonfly Designs, Fireflies & Jellybeans, GingerSnap CraftsHouse of Hepworths, I Should be Mopping the Floor, Lil Luna, Mercy Ink, Miss Mustard Seed, My Girlish Whims, My Romantic Home, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, New Nostalgia, Not Just a Housewife, Parlo & Logi, Sew Can DoSew Much Ado, Shabby Nest, Simply Designing, Somewhat Simple, Style Sisters, Sugar and Dots, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, The Shabby Creek CottageUnder the Table & Dreaming, What-About}
Pin It Now!

25 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love the Hemnes line. It's actually quite well crafted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it's well crafted, and I like how it looks. A little more polished than some of the other Ikea stuff.

      Delete
  2. This turned out perfect.

    We would also like to invite you to link up with us at our link party which goes live tonight: http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/

    Thanks!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite. I'm on it.

      Delete
  3. The stripes look great! I am visiting from Coastline Charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and for commenting! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Well..even thought you had a lot of extra work..it was soooo worth it! Turned out amazing! Thank you for sharing at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of extra work that was totally my fault. I hate/love it when that happens...mostly because it means I won't make the same mistake again. Ever.
      Thanks, Bonnie.

      Delete
  5. This would look great in my son's bedroom! Awesome job! I love the strips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put this in my son's bedroom, too. He loooooves it, which is super rewarding.

      Delete
  6. Looks great! I have a similar project in mind for my son's dresser, and I suspect the don't rush it advice will be an important reminder for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remind myself of that every.single.paint.job. I do. Just want to have it all finished, you know? Good luck with yours, Gretchen. I'd love to see a photo once your dresser is finished.

      Delete
  7. Awww! Look at you! I love this. Your tip about using a quality brush is dead on! It makes a world of difference!

    Thanks for sharing at F-it Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I tried a crappy brush at first (thinking: it's oil paint, and I'm just going to toss the thing afterward), and that was a big mistake. Way worth it to use the best paintbrush and make a date with the paint thinner afterward.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful job, Brittany! You really added so much personality to an otherwise plain dresser. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roeshel. I love personality wherever I can get it, for sure! And when something matches me AND my son, well, getouttahere.

      Delete
  9. Sorry about misspelling your name. I get in such a hurry with my typing. Oops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great clean smart look with a wealth of info so I featured it this week on BeColorful. Thanks for sharing.
    p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the feature, Pam!

      Delete
  11. Amazing transformation..I have this exact dresser...I just may have to try this. Thank you for linking up to centerpiece Wed on my blog....I highlighted you on my blog tonight on my centerpiece Wed wrap up! Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try it! Stuff like this is so rewarding, at least for me. Very visual, you know? Thanks for the highlight, Karin.

      Delete
  12. LOVE the stripe! I'm all about adding stripes to furniture! I've never used oil-based paint before! Is it all just about durability? I probably could have used that on a couple of pieces in my kids playroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for me it's all about durability on furniture. And I'm so glad you love the stripe! I've done lots of horizontal stripe-age in the past, but I'm kind of digging the vertical look here. :) Thanks for the comment, lady.

      Delete
  13. Featuring YOU today! :)

    Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2013/02/10-diy-home-decorating-projects-featured.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Ginger! Appreciated.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover